Search This Blog

18 December, 2011

AN ANECDOT...PART OF MY OWN LIFE STORY...

        IN GOD WE TRUST !

AN ANECDOT...PART OF MY OWN LIFE STORY...

by P.Martori
I was  a teenager  in the 50s. In 1953 I began my Pre-Universitary level , called Bachillerato.
Soon after  getting to that  Pre-Univ. School in my home town, I  joined the movement , 

with several  others  who were  leading the way in a new struggle  against the new dictator 
of Cuba : Fulgencio Batista.

I was then 13 yrs. old. I was already well aware of many of the socio-political and 

economic issues of my country. I was reading since about 10-11 yrs. old  almost 
every day what ever fell on my hands, but my interests were in facts, sociological
 and political.

So in the midst of that struggle I happened to be the target of the search by Batista's

police and soldiers one day...
They got to me, for I was hidding  already in my teacher's  home and took me to

 the town's police station, the guys who were  taking me  from  my teacher's house 
were from another town ,where I was previously hiding  some time before.

But to make this story brief or short, at the arrival to the police station, right there 

at the same door , outside the station, they started to question me...
Seen that I was giving then tangents and evasives answers, one of the guy, said , 

let's take him inside...I will "soften" him...

Inside the Station ,in the back room of it, they surrounded me, ten or twelf of them...
They asked me for  the names of the tow other guys who went to another town with me

and to buy some revolvers...

I always refused to give away those names , one of the guys BTW was not far from

 that Police Station, in fact just a block away, probably having his supper time meal 
at around 7:00 PM.
As the  sbirres saw that they were not going to get any info  ,at least so easily, 

they began to hit me and beating me with their fists, with a long electrical cable, 
and even at a moment , when I fell down ,  with their feet..
I was thinking that I could never  betray my friends and comrades.
I was also seen myself  dead  and lying  in some place outside that town
among the bushes  that grow in the litoral mangroves

But as I  had those thought I was seeking a way out of that infernal beating.



 So I said I was going to talk...
I gave them false names , and I said I didn't know but just one of the guys.
and didn't know where they lived.


At this, the gang  , set aside to a corner to conference and discuss ..

I didn't know about what...but that was the moment I profit to escape by running
from the back room of that station to the front  door.

The guard at the front door , turned  toward me and shoot.
It did not hit me, but I saw the shot hit the wall next to the door i was at this  

moment going through.

He stood up with his rifle across his chest  withthe intention of stopping me
but suddenly he turned away to  prepare his old Crack rifle again to shoot at me.

I pass next to him and  looked back to see if he was going to shoot again, 
so I run toward the next corner of street   and inclined myself all what I could 
and zig zag toward that  cornerof the street, by the time I got to that saviour corner,
more than 50 shoots  rained  toawrd me, none hitting me by the Grace of God.!

I saw,  the dust little clouds , on the street and at  the  walls across the police

 station made by the bullets...One of the bullets hit a teenager , 15 yrs. old who 
happened to be running  in that street  trying to flee from the shootings. 
He fell  at the street intersection where I was already turning that corner. 
I stopped looked at him on the street I for a second I thought to go and 
rescue him, butn then inmediately ,i remembered that the shots were for me, 
not for him , so he was not in danger. I kept running to the next  corner, 
trying to  get out of the sight of the sbirres. I went into a house and went 
all the way to the back and jumped to the  roof of a small room and then 
to a fence about three or four meters high. From there I jumped down and
then to the next back yard of this house, and so on til I got to the other  
corner of the whole section or " manzana"  in a diagonal trajectory.

When the robolution won power , and Ireturned from exile, 

I went to my hometown  just two weeks after that day of 1959.

People considered me a heroe, one of the most outstanding in the whole gang 

of the towns revolutionnaries,I was greeted and treated at every ,almost  step 
in my way  around that town.Every one wanted to be my friend , some were 
friends  from long time.I was by then only 19 yrs. old. I was invited to visit the
towns quarters of the Guardia Rural or Army, where some of the sbirres were 
jailed already.

I saw several of those guys behind bars. I saluted them respectfully and with some

pity at the same time.


NEVER IN MY MIND WAS  ANY, OR THE LEAST OF THE INTENTIONS TO PROFIT 
OF THAT SITUATION AND OFFEND OR INSULT  THOSE MEN WHO WERE NOW 
DEFENSELESS AND WHO COULD NOT DEFEND  THEMSELVES.

I also never went to watch when severalof these same men were executed 

at the firewalls. in that same army quarter.

TO ME THAT WAS NOT A SHOW, THAT WAS NOT JUSTICE AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN.



Those, my former ennemies and torturers, deserved a TRIAL WITH ALL THE 
GUARANTEES OF THE LAW !

This is part of my little history and live proud of it because I always fight for 

the principles and not for any personal agenda...
Pedro Martori




           www.kastroasesino.blogspot.com/
http://WWW.CUBASI_KASTRONO   BLOG

No comments: